slightly wonky


Brrr….
February 22, 2011, 3:05 pm
Filed under: painting, printmaking | Tags: , , , , , , ,

Okay, it was 12 degrees this morning.  Tonight, it’s supposed to be 6.  Seriously.  In spite of this cold snap, our lovely igloo that my husband made has melted.  Here is what’s left of it:

It was right next to that tree.  I took this picture yesterday when my son and I were playing out in the yard.  I was frozen, and he was gleefully throwing snow around with a beach shovel.  Here’s the winter light in front of our house:

Isn’t it amazing?  I love that kind of light.

So, I managed to finish that linoleum block that I was working on!  I just tried to hunker down and finish it.  I like the prints, more or less, so I think that I may do more…in spite of the fact that I’m still not in love with carving linoleum.  I also collaged some interesting Japanese papers into some of the pictures.  The solid paper was a success…the patterned paper was a total fail.

Here is just the block print:

Here, I’ve added some red paper:

The red looks much darker in the photo above than it really appears.  Detail:

Here it is with the patterned paper…not good:

I like this one, with the ochre paper:

detail:

That turned out pretty well.

I also finished that trace monotype with watercolor.  I’m not happy with this.  I may try to “help” it in some way.  Suggestions?

I kind of like the colors, but the overall effect is blah.  It’s kind of flat and boring.  Thoughts???



Less than successful…
December 15, 2010, 2:03 pm
Filed under: printmaking | Tags: , , , , ,

Okay.  So, I tried a new ink & technique for printing today.  I was hoping that it was going to be fabulous.  Unfortunately, it turned out horribly.  Big fail…waaah!  I like the layered colors, but for the life of me, I could not get the middle part to print as dark as the edges.  I have NO idea what I was doing wrong.  I would love to blame the press, or the ink, but it was surely my fault.  sigh.  It’s always frustrating to spend time on something that does not turn out well.  I tried to revive it along the way, but no luck.  I may email my printmaking teacher to ask her for suggestions. [update: I think that I needed to add “retarder” to my ink.  This modifier slows down the rate of drying.  So, my ink was drying out before I had a chance to print it.  I’ve used that modifier for other inks, but I somehow thought that this ink didn’t need it.  I was wrong.  SIGH.  The inspiration (if that’s what I should call it) for the print came from seeing my recently planted bulbs dug up out of the garden by some critter.  The sad bulbs were lying on the soil, pale and bare.  I wanted to replant them, but I thought that this would just be futile.  So, no springtime flowers for me! DRAMATIC SIGH]

I also have a lino print (one of four copies) in process.  I used some oil based ink, which was so much better for printing than the water based.  Unfortunately, I have been waiting AGES for it to dry.  I could probably keep printing, even though it is still tacky, but I’m worried that I’ll mess it up somehow.

I haven’t gotten much done lately.  Holiday stuff…trying to purge excess stuff (primarily toys and clothes)…etc.  The basement renovation is progressing.  I’m looking forward to having some space to work and leave things in process.

Comments welcome!  Or if any of you are into printmaking, please feel free to give me some pointers.

I’m going to go and eat a cookie now…




%d bloggers like this: